Built, and run by a local family in 1939 it seated 1000 people
Projection equipment was two Simplex E7s with the built in manual
operated oil pump on the operating side of the sound head, Peerless carbon arcs, and RCA sound
Stage shows were also performed, and two Stelmar low intensity carbon arc follow spots
were installed in the box
A separate non-sync room, equipped with a twin 33rpm turntable, was next door to the box
This meant that two projectionists were needed to start a show
One for the projector, and one to operate the non-sync fader next door
The cinema also had a two manual Compton organ
The secondary lighting was run from a small mercury rectifier
The arc rectifiers were also mercury
As the screen could not be flown for stage shows, the speakers were unplugged and wheeled into
alcoves at the rear of the stage
The screen was also pushed back to the rear of the stage, and covered by a backcloth, or scenery
Stage lighting consisted of four sets of battens, and one set of footlights
The Leatherhead Theatre is now on the site
|