Tagged: Rhiwbina Community Cinema

Rhiwbina Community Cinema

Rhiwbina Community Cinema

The original Monico Cinema opened on 19th April 1937 with Gary Cooper in “Lives of A Bengal Lancer”. It had an original seating capacity of 950 in stalls and circle.
The Monico survived as a twin screen cinema (seating 433 and 156) until closing on 30th January 2003 under the management of Circle Cinemas. The building was demolished and a block of flats was built on the site. https://monicomovies.wordpress.com/

monico frontdoorsMovies can sear into our memories and evoke long forgotten moments from our past, but of course the buildings where they were seen are just as redolent. Gareth Hill, a Cardiff based writer has composed an evocative paean to “The Monico – A Cinema”

What’s On